Towards Integrated Water Resource Management
There is currently not enough water to meet the demand in the Pangani Basin, yet the Pangani Basin Water Board continues to receive requests for new water permits from local, municipal and industrial investors. The Water Board has little data on the economic, social and environmental costs and benefits of various water allocation scenarios to guide its water permit provision. Climate change and reducing water supplies have yet to be taken into consideration in the allocation process.
Conflicts are also emerging between various water users, such as commercial farms, small farmers and livestock keepers. The natural environment has yet to be recognized as an important water user and at present receives hardly any consideration in an already over-allocated resource.
The Pangani River Basin Management Project (PRBMP) is generating technical information and developing participatory forums to strengthen Integrated Water Resources Management in the Pangani River Basin,…
Publications and Highlights
- River Health Assessment Report
- Pangani Socioeconomic Assessment
- Pangani Basin Delineation Report
- Pangani - Development of Climate Change Scenarios
- Pangani Hydraulic Study of Lake Jipe, Nyumba ya Mungu Reservoir and Kirua Swamp
- Pangani Hydrology and System Analysis Volume 1
- Pangani Hydrology and System Analysis Volume 2
- Pangani - The Analysis of Water Allocation Scenarios for the Pangani River Basin
- Pangani - Water-related issues and trends in the Pangani River Basin