Pangani - Water-related issues and trends in the Pangani River Basin
This report provides baseline information on the condition of the Pangani River system against which the impact of water-related decision-making can be monitored in future interms of the relationship between flow, river health and the people who use the river.
The Pangani Basin Flow Assessment was an initiative of the International Union of Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and the Pangani Basin Water Office (PBWO). Running from August 2005 until 2009, it brought together a core team of Tanzanian specialists in a range of disciplines related to rivers - biophysical, social, economics, water management and policy making - and an international team of flow-assessment specialists from Southern Waters Ecological Research and Consulting and Anchor Environmental Consultants.
Their task was to develop an understanding of the hydrology of the Pangani River Basin, the flow-related nature and functioning of the river system and the links between the river and the social and economic value of the riverís resources. They then had to create scenarios of possible basin management/ development pathways into the future for consideration by the water authorities and other stakeholders.
Each scenario described the consequences of a development pathway in terms of changes in river condition, the economics of the natural resources of the river, HEP generation, irrigated agriculture, and social impacts.
Some scenarios also included projections of how flows would be affected by global climate
Other Resources and Highlights
- River Health Assessment Report
- Pangani Socioeconomic Assessment
- Pangani Basin Delineation Report
- Pangani - Development of Climate Change Scenarios
- Pangani Hydraulic Study of Lake Jipe, Nyumba ya Mungu Reservoir and Kirua Swamp
- Pangani Hydrology and System Analysis Volume 1
- Pangani Hydrology and System Analysis Volume 2
- Pangani - The Analysis of Water Allocation Scenarios for the Pangani River Basin
- Pangani - Water-related issues and trends in the Pangani River Basin
- Pangani - An assessment of understanding and knowledge gaps
- Pangani - Fish and invertebrate life histories and important fisheries of the Pangani River Basin
- Pangani Estuarine Health Assessment Report
- Pangani - Climate change modelling for the Pangani Basin to support the IWRM planning process
- Pangani Hydroelectric Power Modeling Studd
- Pangani Basin: A Situation Analysis (2nd Edition)
- Bonde La Pangani: Uchambuzi wa Hali Halisi (Toleo la pili)
- Pangani River System: State of the Basin Report
- Mto Pangani Na Mfumo Wake: Ripoti ya Hali ya Bonde