Catchment/Sub-Catchment Water Committees
Catchment/Sub-Catchment Water Committee (CWC/SCWC) has responsibility of coordination and harmonize integrated water resource management plans in catchment and resolve water related conflicts in the catchment. This will be headed by catchment/sub-catchment water officer who is appointed by Basin Water Board. Pangani Basin has been divided into four (4) catchments such as Kikuletwa (13,260km2), Main Pangani (30,340km2), Mkomazi (5,340km2) and Umba-Zigi (10,300km2).
Since some initiatives in strengthening community(ies) participation in water resources management in most of these catchments have been carried out and some water user associations established, therefore the Board Meeting of Pangani Basin held on 29 – 30 April 2014 approved the starting process of facilitating establishment of two (2) catchments namely; Kikuletwa (13,260km2) and Umba-Zigi (10,300km2).
Water User Associations
A Water Users Association is an association formed by the agreement of the majority of groups of water users for the purposes of; management, distribution and conservation of water from sources used jointly by members of the water users association, acquiring and operating water permits, resolve conflicts over water use, collect water user fees on behalf of the Basin Water Board and represent special interests and values arising from water used for a public purpose, such as in an environment or conservation area or for the purpose of managing a Groundwater controlled area.
The associations are legal entities registered by the Basin Water Board guided and bound by their own constitutions and are led by management committees as stipulated in the Water Resources Management Act No.11 of 2009.
Moreover, they are a result of the National Water Policy (NAWAPO, 2002) that had an objective to develop a comprehensive framework for promoting the optimal, sustainable and equitable development and use of water resources for the benefit of all Tanzanians, based on a clear set of guiding principles.
The NAWAPO which legally enforced/backed with Water Resources Management Act (WRMA, 2009) also insists participation of community (Water User Associations, WUAs) in water management. Communities in general play a major role in water sector because they are primary users, guardians and managers of water sources. Formation of WUAs in Pangani Basin based in Catchments and Sub-Catchments.
The following processes/steps are followed in formulating WUAs:-
1. Collection of Baseline information
2. Consultative meetings and awareness creation to different stakeholders on water resources management
3. Selection of representatives/committee by community according to hydrological boundaries.
4. Training of representatives on water resources management.
5. Drafting constitution with representatives
6. Distribution of Draft constitution to stakeholders for comments
7. Consolidation of drafted constitution for approval
8. Registration of WUAs according to WRMA of 2009
9. Inauguration of WUAs
So far the Basin has a total of eleven (11) registered WUAs namely; Upper Kikuletwa, Sanya Kware, Kikafu-Karanga-Weruweru, Lower Kikuletwa, Downstream Nyumba ya Mungu to Buiko, Zigi-Mkulumuzi, Yongoma, Hingilili, Umba, Mbaramo and Mdando.
Water Users’ meeting in Zigi-Mkulumuzi Water User Association, Tanga Region
The associations are operational but still at an early stage of implementation whereas they need technical and financial support to implement their tasks. To date, the associations are comprised with members drawn from catchment areas as shown below:
1. Upper Kikuletwa Water Users Association (UWAMAKIJU) with registration number PBWB/WUA/1DD/01 operating within the Upper Kikuletwa catchment area falling within administrative boundaries of Arusha and Arumeru Districts. It comprises of 47 founder members sharing water from Ngaramtoni, Themi, Nduruma and Kikuletwa Rivers.
2. Sanya Kware Water Users Association (UWAMASAKWA) with registration number PBWB/WUA/1DD/02 operating within the 60 founder members
3. Karanga Kikafu Weruweru Water Users Association (UKAKIWE) with registration number PBWB/WUA/1DD/03 operating within Karanga Kikafu Weruweru catchment area falling within administrative boundaries of Moshi and Hai Districts. It comprises of 238 members sharing water from Karanga, Kikafu and Weruweru Rivers.
4. Lower Kikuletwa Water Users Association (UWAMAKICHI) with registration number PBWB/WUA/1DD/04 operating within Lower Kikuletwa Catchment area falling within Moshi and Simanjiro Districts. It comprises of 53 founder members sharing water from Kikuletwa River.
5. Pangani mainstem (Downstream Nyumba ya Mungu Dam to Buiko) Water Users Association with registration number PBWB/WUA/1D/01 operating within the d/s NyM Dam to Buiko catchment area falling within administrative boundaries of Mwanga, Same, Simanjiro and Korogwe Districts. It comprise of 167 founder members sharing water from the Pangani River.
6. Zigi Mkulumuzi Water Users Association with registration number PBWB/WUA/1C/01 operating within the Zigi Mkulumuzi catchment areas falling within administrative boundaries of Tanga City, Muheza and Mkinga Districts. It comprises of 250 founder members sharing water from Zigi and Mkulumuzi Rivers.
7. Yongoma Water Users Association (UWAMAYO) with registration number PBWB/WUA/1DB/01 operating within the Mkomazi catchment area falling within administrative boundaries of Same District. It comprises of 2 founder members sharing water from Yongoma River.
8. Hingilili Water Users Association (UWAHI) with registration number PBWB/WUA/1DB/02 operating within the Mkomazi catchment area falling within administrative boundaries of Same District. It comprises of 2 founder members sharing water from Hingilili River.
9. Umba Water Users Association (UWABU) with registration number PBWB/WUA/1B/01 operating within Umba-Zigi catchment area falling within administrative boundaries of Lushoto District. It comprises of 2 members sharing water from Umba River.
10. Mbaramo Water Users Association (UWAMBA) with registration number PBWB/WUA/1B/02 operating within Umba-Zigi catchment area falling within administrative boundaries of Lushoto District. It comprises of 2 members sharing water from Umba River.
11. Mdando Water Users Association (UWAM) with registration number PBWB/WUA/1B/03 operating within Umba-Zigi catchment area falling within administrative boundaries of Lushoto District. It comprises of 2 members sharing water from Umba River.